FREE SHIPPING within Europe on all orders over 40€

How Lawrence of Arabia Changed The Camel For The Motorcycle

Lawrence riding his Brough Superior SS100

Lawrence’s father, Sir Thomas Chapman, was a married man that fell in love with the family governess, Sarah Junner and left his marriage to be with her. Out of this union came five illegitimate boys out of which, Thomas Edward was the second. He, as well as his brothers, grew up under the assumed name of Lawrence.

Lawrence was a staunch vegetarian, but while living in France in 1906 his host family pressured him into eating meat by repeatedly badgering him with stern warnings of how “vegetarians fill an early grave.” This lifestyle also included complete abstinence from alcohol and tobacco. After graduating from university with a degree in archaeology and military history he decided to walk the length of Syria alone. At only 21 years of age, he walked over 1,600 kilometres across the desert and through many of the world’s oldest cities, not really aware of the dangers he could be facing. The reason he decided to do this was to photograph crusaders’ castles, but he ended up doing way more than just staring at castles. He became aware of the people’s customs and behaviors, of the geographic conditions, of the political situation, and in addition to all of that, through his constant contact with the Syrian people along the trip he managed to learn Arabic. Arabic and the rest of the knowledge gained on his epic trip would prove to be invaluable years later during his campaign in the Arab revolt.

Lawrence epically posing on top of the bike in which he would have his fatal accident

(Lawrence epically posing on top of the bike in which he would have his fatal accident.)

While being in the army, Lawrence managed to get the title of the “untidiest officer in the British Army”. His uniform was never the way it was supposed to be, opened buckle, unbuttoned shoulder strap if on at all. He had constant episodes of disrespect towards officers, or any other authority. This general lack of respect would be a constant companion throughout his life.

T.E. Lawrence started being Lawrence of Arabia during the First World War, once he adopted the Arab way of dressing and the language. This unexpected behavior from an English soldier is precisely what made him standout from the other soldiers and made him be respected by King Faisal.

In 1915,  just months apart of each other, two of Lawrence’s younger brothers, Frank and Will, were killed fighting on the Western Front. This tragic fate played a major part in the guilt Lawrence felt about his safe desk job in Cairo while other thousands of men were being killed on the frontlines that made him want to take part in the field.

In 1916, he was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel and was sent to join the Great Arab Revolt, led by King Faisal. Using guerrilla tactics, they struck at Turkish lines of communication, avoiding direct confrontation as their strategy would not have worked otherwise. By cooperating and mixing within the Arab culture and its people, Lawrence became a very respected adviser, and kept on leading small organised forces against the Turks throughout WWI, weakening communication lines and supply routes. Lawrence lived the life of a Bedouin, he rode his camel, fought the Turks, ate what there was and suffered alongside the Arabic people. And this is exactly how he earned their respect and became a leader among those who fought beside him.

Lawrence wearing the typical Arabian djellaba during his time in the Arab Delegation

(Lawrence wearing the typical Arabian djellaba during his time in the Arab Delegation.)

Back in England, King George V summoned Lawrence to Buckingham Palace in 1918, Lawrence thought that this audience was being held to discuss borders for an independent Arabia, but the reality was far from a pragmatic purpose. Instead it was taking place for the King to bestow Lawrence the knighthood for his service to his Majesty. When Lawrence caught wind of this, he was sure that the British government had betrayed the Arabs by giving them the false promise of independence, and it is for this reason that he refused this honor in front of the King himself and walked out of the palace. He would later become part of the Arab delegation to the Treaty of Versailles after World War I, acting as a translator between the various heads of state. In 1921, the future prime minister became Colonial Secretary and employed Lawrence as an advisor on Arab affairs. The two men grew to admire each other and became lifelong friends.

After World War I, in 1922, Lawrence was tired of his celebrity, and in an effort to gain seclusion from the world he had been living in, he decided to join the ranks of the Royal Air Force under the assumed name John Hume Ross. This new identity didn’t last long as the media quickly found out who he really was so he enlisted in the Tank Corps as Thomas Edward Shaw, a name that remained with him when he transferred back into the R.A.F. in 1925 and up until the day he died. Lawrence served in India from 1927 to 1929 before returning to Britain. He stayed in the R.A.F. until 1935.

Lawrence retired to a two-story cottage in the southwestern English county of Dorset known as Clouds Hill. A tiny place, less than 700 square feet, consisting of two small rooms on each floor connected by a steep and rickety staircase. Curiously, it has neither a kitchen nor a toilet. He was Pvt. T.E. Shaw to his neighbours, a reclusive serviceman rarely seen except when riding his beloved Brough motorcycle through the countryside.

British Propaganda of Brough's SS100 competing with the less powerful German BMW

(British Propaganda of Brough's SS100 competing with the less powerful German BMW.)

Throughout his life, Lawrence, felt a need for speed. He had a motor engine sent over to him at Carchemish, installed it in a boat and raced with it. He used to swap his camels for Rolls Royce Armoured cars that were capable of 60 mph over the desert flats. In the R.A.F. he willingly worked on fast motor launches in Plymouth. But if there was something he really loved it was definitely riding motorcycles, proof of it are two of his books “Lustfulness of moving swiftly” and “Pleasure of speeding on the road”.

T.E. Shaw, as he was known by now, was troubled, he wanted to avoid the fame that Arabia had brought him, he was hiding from the press, and feeling uneasy after the revolt in the desert. He was anxious to see Britain keep her promise to the Arabs. Also, he was personally haunted by the idea that society would find out about his illegitimacy or the possibility that the fact that he had never had a woman by his side would be questioned. Motorcycles presented him with the perfect way to escape leaving all this behind at top speed, literally. And it was George Brough who built him eight different Brough Superiors, the “Rolls-Royce Of Motorcycles”. This man personally guaranteed that each one of them would top 160km/h.

George Brough with crutches after an accident with one of his prototypes, gives Lawrence his brand new SS100 so he can ride it back home for the first time.

(George Brough with crutches after an accident with one of his prototypes, gives Lawrence his brand new SS100 so he can ride it back home for the first time.)

It was pouring rain the morning of Sunday the 19th of May, 1935. Lawrence sped through the English countryside coming back from the local post office on his Brough Superior SS100 998cc motorbike. He, all of a sudden saw two boys on their bicycles and with almost no time to react swerved to avoid them. However, he clipped one of the bikes and was thrown forward over the handlebars. After six days in intensive care Lawrence succumbed to his massive brain injuries and died at the age of 46. His funeral service was attended by many powerful and influential figures such as Winston Churchill, who deemed him “one of the greatest beings alive in this time.” “Lawrence the Soldier Dies to Live Forever” rang out the Daily Sketch. And there, immortalised beneath Lawrence, was his powerful Brough Superior which he himself described as “a skittish motorcycle with a touch of blood in it”.

George Brough posing on top one of his first motorcycles after wining the the M.C.C. Challenge Cup.

(George Brough posing on top one of his first motorcycles after wining the the M.C.C. Challenge Cup.)

After Lawrence’s death, a move to make the wearing of motorcycle helmets compulsory for all riders was set in motion. In 1935, riders were typically bare-headed. But that would all change thanks to one of the medics who attended Lawrence. It was a young doctor by the name of Hugh Cairns, who became one of Britain’s very first neurosurgeons, who was inspired to research brain trauma due to motorcycle accidents when he was unable to save Lawrence from an untimely death. It was through his research that motorcycle helmets became a required safety equipment, eventually saving thousands of lives.

Dr. Cairns’ post-mortem examination established that Lawrence had suffered “severe lacerations and brain trauma” when his unprotected head struck the ground. In the case he would have survived this accident he most probably would have been blind and unable to speak. After this examination Cairns came to the conclusion that this death could have been avoided with the use of head protection and it is for this reason that he decided to start researching the subject and in 1941 the article “Head injuries in Motorcyclists – The importance of the crash helmet” was published in the British Medical Journal. This article revealed that 942 bikers had been killed on British roads the year before WWII and that out of these, two-thirds suffered head injuries. But things got worse when the air raids started, despite the petrol rationing and the consequent decrease in vehicular traffic, 1140 bikers died the subsequent year, roughly 100 a month.

Hugh Cairns making the tests for his “Head injuries in Motorcyclists – The importance of the crash helmet” investigation.

(Hugh Cairns making the tests for his “Head injuries in Motorcyclists – The importance of the crash helmet” investigation.)

Cairns had a hard time finding riders which would voluntarily wear helmets to prove that it made a difference. For the moment he could only count with seven accidents in which the rider was wearing a crash helmet, and all of them had survived with no major head injury. At this point the army was losing around two riders every week in motorcycle accidents, so they ordered all of their riders to wear a crash helmet. Two years later, in 1943, Cairns was able to show the difference between helmet-wearing despatch riders and bare-headed civilians. Results were outstandingly pro-helmet, the number of deaths fell by 75% during the period helmets were compulsory. Unluckily, Hugh Cairns did not live to see the change in the law his research helped to bring about, as he died of cancer in 1952. But he would have been proud of what was achieved and the tremendous impact the result of his work has had in motorcycle rider safety. Nevertheless, it is highly unlikely that the man whose tragic death motivated all of this would have ever worn a helmet had he lived in today’s safety-first world – Lawrence was a free spirit, a rule breaker- he lived for speed and the feel of the skin on his face cutting through the air. He not only loved riding, but the metal machinery he rode on.

Lawrence and Brough were good friends, Lawrence used to write him about how much he loved the master pieces he had built for him: ”Yesterday I completed 100,000 miles since 1922 on five successive Brough Superiors, thank you for the road pleasure I got out of them, your present machines are as fast and reliable as express trains, and the greatest fun in the world.” He nicknamed the motorcycle he had the crash with “Boa” or “Boanerges” which means “Son of Thunder” in Aramaic.

Brough superior motorcycles were made in Nottingham between 1902 and 1926, producing more than 3,000 models. Every motorcycle was test ridden to ensure that it performed to specification, and was personally certified by George Brough guaranteeing it had been tested over 160 km/h at the Brooklands racetrack. Approximately 383 SS100 (Super Sports) 1000 cc with V-twin engines were manufactured from 1924 to 1940.

After the accident, Lawrence’s motorcycle spent three months in a garage in Dorset. George Brough offered to renovate the bike for £40, but being  the average wage £3 per week Lawrence’s brother decided to sell the motorcycle back to Brough, who carried out the repairs and re-sold it for “publicity purposes”. This motorcycle splits now its time between the Imperial War Museum and the National Motor Museum. This Brough Superior bike broke the record for the luxury motorcycle brand at £315,000 the most expensive motorcycle ever sold at an auction.

Lawrence's SS100 at a museum after being purchased at an auction for £315,000.

(Lawrence's SS100 at a museum after being purchased at an auction for £315,000.)

In 2008 Mark Upham acquired the rights to the Brough Superior name and is now hand-building the Brough Superior for the 21st century. In 2013 the first prototype of a new SS100 was shown in Milan. Instantly recognizable and cunningly modernised, today’s SS100 will be sold at a sum of £50,000, which is roughly the equivalent in real terms with the price in 1935 of £180.


Cómo Lawrence De Arabía Dejó El Camello Por Las Motos

El padre de Lawrence, Sir Thomas Chapman, era un hombre casado que se enamoró de su criada, Sarah Junner y abandonó su matrimonio para estar con ella. De esta unión surgieron cinco hijos ilegítimos de los cuales Thomas Edward fue el segundo. Él, al igual que sus hermanos, crecieron con el apellido Lawrence.

Lawrence era vegetariano y contaba como su familia de acogida, cuando vivía en Francia en 1906, solía advertirle que “los vegetarianos llenan la tumba antes de tiempo” y le presionaban para que comiera carne. Este estilo de vida también incluía completa abstinencia de alcohol y de tabaco. Tras estudiar una carrera universitaria en arqueología e historia, decidió irse a Siria y cruzarla a pie. Con tan solo 21 años cruzó más de 1600 kilómetros a través del desierto y de algunas de las ciudades más antiguas del mundo sin saber muy bien a los peligros a los que se exponía. La razón por la que decidió hacer esto era para fotografiar castillos de las cruzadas, pero acabó haciendo mucho más que buscar castillos. Se acostumbro a las costumbres y comportamientos de la gente, a las condiciones geográficas y climáticas ademas de a la situación política. A lo  largo de su viaje aprendió árabe, que añadido al resto de sus idiomas, francés, alemán, griego, turco, inglés, latín y a todas las experiencias que había vivido a lo largo de su viaje le convertirían en un personaje de alto valor en su futura campaña de la revolución árabe.

Al principio, en el ejercito británico, Lawrence se ganó el título de “soldado más desaliñado del Ejercito Británico”. Su uniforme siempre mal puesto y por fuera, la hebilla abierta, las hombreras desabrochadas y con la mitad de la indumentaria puesta. Tenía constantes episodios de falta de respeto hacía los oficiales o cualquier otra autoridad, lo que se convertiría en parte de su carácter a lo largo de toda su vida.

T.E. Lawrence empezó a ser Lawrence de Arabia en la Primera Guerra Mundial, una vez que había adoptado la vestimenta árabe y el idioma. Este inusual comportamiento por parte de un soldado británico es precisamente lo que le hizo sobresalir entre los demás y la forma en la que se ganó el respeto del Rey Faisal. Mientras tanto y tan solo unos meses entre uno y otro, en 1915, dos de los hermanos de Lawrence, Frank y Will, murieron luchando en el Frente Occidental. Lawrence se sentía en parte culpable por estar sentado en su segura oficina de El Cairo mientras miles de hombre morían en el frente, lo que hizo que quisiera tomar parte en la lucha.

En 1916 fue ascendido a Teniente Coronel y enviado a unirse a la revuelta árabe, liderada por el Rey Faisal. Utilizando tácticas de guerra de guerrillas consiguieron cortar las líneas de comunicación turcas y evitaron la confrontación ya que de haber llegado esta, no habrían tenido nada que hacer. Al cooperar y mezclarse con la sociedad árabe, Lawrence, se convirtió en un consejero muy respetado que siguió liderando pequeñas guerrillas contra los turcos a lo largo de la Primera Guerra Mundial, atacando y debilitando comunicaciones y rutas de suministros. Lawrence vivió la vida de un Beduino, cabalgó su camello, luchó contra los turcos, comió lo que pudo y sufrió cuando los árabes lo hicieron. Y es precisamente esta la razón por la que se ganó el puesto de líder entre aquellos que luchaban a su lado.

De vuelta en Inglaterra en 1918, el Rey George V llamó a Lawrence al Palacio de Buckingham. Lawrence pensó que el motivo de esta audiencia era para establecer las fronteras de la nueva Arabia Independiente, pero lejos de esto, la audiencia estaba pensada con el motivo de darle a Lawrence el título de caballero por su trabajo. Lawrence estaba seguro de que el gobierno británico estaba traicionando a los árabes dándoles falsas promesas de independencia y es por esta razón por la que rechazó este honor frente al Rey, se dio media vuelta y salió del palacio. Más tarde, Lawrence, pasaría a formar parte de la delegación árabe del Tratado de Versalles tras la Primera Guerra Mundial haciendo de traductor entre distintos altos cargos del gobierno. En 1921, el futuro primer ministro que era entonces Secretario Colonial le dio a Lawrence el puesto de consejero en asuntos árabes. Estos dos hombres crecieron juntos para admirarse el uno al otro y se convirtieron en amigos de por vida.

Tras la Primera Guerra Mundial, en 1922, Lawrence ya estaba cansado de su fama y en un intento por retirarse del mundo en el que había estado viviendo hasta entonces, decidió unirse a la Royal Air Force bajo el nombre de John Hume Ross. Los medios de comunicación no tardaron demasiado en destapar la nueva identidad de Lawrence por lo que decidió alistarse esta vez en el ejercito de tierra en la división de acorazados bajo el nombre de Thomas Edward Shaw, nombre que se quedaría con él hasta que más tarde volviera a formar parte de la R.A.F. en 1925 y más tarde, hasta el día en el que perdería la vida. Lawrence estuvo destinado en India desde 1927 hasta 1929 tiempo tras el que regresó a Inglaterra para quedarse en la R.A.F. hasta 1935.

Lawrence se retiró en una casa de campo de dos pisos en el Sur-Oeste de la campiña inglesa, en un pueblo llamado Dorset. Era una casita pequeña, menos de 70 metros cuadrados. La casa constaba de dos habitaciones pequeñas en cada piso conectadas por una vieja escalera. Curiosamente esta casa no tenía ni cocina ni baño. Él era ahora conocido como el soldado T.E. Shaw para sus vecinos, un hombre retirado al que veían raramente a no ser que fuera cuando iba con una de sus motos a gran velocidad por la campiña.

A lo largo de su vida, Lawrence tuvo siempre una adicción por la velocidad. Hizo que le enviaran un motor a Carchemish para instalarlo en una barca y hacer carreras con él. Solía cambiar camellos por Rolls Royce blindados para poder ir a mas de 100km/h por las llanuras del desierto. En la R.A.F. eligió trabajar en el área de motores rápidos de Plymouth. Pero si había algo que de verdad amara eran las motos, prueba de ello eran dos de sus libros “La lujuria de moverse con rapidez” y “El placer de acelerar en la carretera”.

T.E. Shaw, como era conocido ahora, tenía un conflicto personal, quería evitar la fama que Arabia le había traído por lo que se escondía de la prensa. Estaba inquieto tras la revuelta en el desierto, ansioso por ver a Gran Bretaña cumplir su promesa a los árabes y obsesionado con la idea de que la sociedad averiguaría que era un bastardo o la razón por la que nunca hubo una mujer a su lado. Las motos le significaron para él una manera perfecta de escapar de todos estos pensamientos y dejarlos atrás, literalmente. Fue George Brough quien le fabricó ocho Brough Superiors, los Rolls-Royce de las motocicletas. Este hombre comprobaba personalmente que cada una de sus motos sobrepasara los 160km/h.

Llovía a mares la mañana del Domingo 19 de Mayo de 1935. Lawrence aceleraba en su Brough Superior SS100 (998cc) por las carreteras de la campiña volviendo de la oficina de correos local. De repente, dos chicos, salieron de la nada en sus bicicletas y casi sin tiempo para reaccionar viró para evitarlos. A pesar de ello,  se dio con una de las bicis y fue catapultado por encima del manillar. Tras seis días internado en cuidados intensivos, sucumbió a los daños cerebrales que esta caída le había provocado a la edad de 46 años. A su funeral atendieron muchos altos cargos y figuras influyente como Winston Churchill quien dijo: “Lawrence era una de las personas mas importantes de estos tiempos”. “Lawrence el soldado muere para vivir por siempre” decía en sus titulares el Daily Sketch al tiempo que aparecía inmortalizado Lawrence y detrás de él su poderosa Brough Superior, la que él mismo describía como una moto asustadiza con un toque sangriento.

Tras la muerte de Lawrence, un movimiento para hacer el uso del casco de seguridad obligatorio fue puesto en marcha. En 1935 los conductores de moto normalmente iban sin casco. El doctor Hugh Cairns, que fue el neurocirujano que atendió a Lawrence tras su accidente quería ayudar a cambiar esto para salvar miles de vidas en el futuro.

La examinación post-mortem de Lawrence que hizo el Dr. Cairns mostraba un traumatismo craneoencefálico severo con laceraciones y daño cerebral producido al golpear su cabeza con la carretera. En el caso de que hubiera sobrevivido este accidente, lo mas probable es que hubiera quedado ciego y privado del habla. El Dr. Cairns esta seguro de que esta muerte habría sido absolutamente evitable con el uso de un casco de protección y fue esa la razón por la que decidió empezar su investigación al respecto “Traumas craneales en motociclistas – La importancia del casco de seguridad”. Esta fue publicada en el British Medical Journal en 1914. Este artículo revelaba que 942 motociclistas habían perdido la vida antes de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y que de estas muertes, dos tercios fueron a causa de daños en la cabeza. Pero las cosas empeoraron al empezar los ataques aéreos, a pesar del racionamiento de gasolina y la consecuente reducción del tráfico, 1140 motociclistas murieron el año siguiente, alrededor de 100 al mes.

Para Cairns no fue fácil encontrar conductores que llevaran el casco voluntariamente para demostrar que su estudio probaba la diferencia. Por el momento solo podía contar con siete accidentes en los que el piloto llevaba un casco a la hora de tener el accidente, todos ellos sobrevivieron sin daños mayores en la cabeza. En este punto, el ejercito estaba perdiendo alrededor de dos pilotos a la semana en accidentes así que se les ordenó a los soldados que pilotaran motocicletas que se pusieran casco. Dos años más tarde, en 1943, Cairns recopiló los datos entre soldados y civiles, que seguían generalmente con la cabeza al descubierto. Los resultados fueron increíbles, las muertes habían caído un 75%, desafortunadamente el Dr. Cairns no vivió para ver como su estudio logro cambiar la ley al morir de cancer en 1952, pero habría estado orgulloso de lo que ha conseguido gracias a su investigación. Es aun así poco probable que, a pesar de que Lawrence fue el detonador de todo esto, esta ley hubiera conseguido que un espíritu libre y un rebelde como él se hubiera puesto un casco jamás.

Lawrence y Brough eran buenos amigos, Lawrence solía escribirle cartas diciendo como le gustaban las obras maestras que había construido para él: “Ayer he completado 100.000 millas desde 1922 sobre cinco Brough Superior, gracias por este placer sobre ruedas, tus máquinas son tan rápidas y están tan a punto como un tren express al mismo tiempo que las más divertidas del mundo”. Lawrence apodó a su última moto “Boa” o “Boanerges” que quiere decir “Hijo del trueno” en Arameo.

Se produjeron más de 3.000 motos Brough Superior en Nottingham entre 1902 y 1926. Cada una de ellas era probada en el circuito de Brooklands para poder certificar que la moto en cuestión sobrepasaba los 160km/h. George Brough manufacturó aproximadamente 340 unidades del modelo  SS100 (Super Sports) de 1000cc con motor V-twin.

Tras el accidente, la moto de Lawrence pasó tres meses en un taller de Dorset. George Brough ofreció arreglar la moto por £40, pero teniendo en cuenta que el salario medio mensual era de £12, el hermano de Lawrence prefirió vendérsela directamente. Brough la reparó y la revendió para fines publicitarios. Esta moto pasa ahora sus día entre el Museo Imperial de la Guerra y el Museo Nacional del Motor. Cuenta además con su propio record ya que alcanzó la puja más alta en la historia por una moto de lujo con la nada desdeñable cifra de £315,000.

En el año 2008 Mark Upham adquirió los derechos de la firma Brough Superior y está actualmente fabricando un nuevo modelo para el siglo XXI. En el año 2013 el primer prototipo de la nueva SS100 vio la luz en Milán. Una reconocible y modernizada a partes iguales SS100 acababa de nacer, su precio está en torno a los £50,000, que es el equivalente a su precio en 1935, £180.

English en